- From the 27th of November 2021, different ski resorts in Catalonia started their ski seasons.
- Catalonia’s mountains feature 10 alpine ski resorts and 6 Nordic.
- The mountain resorts in Catalonia provide travellers with the unique chance of being able to practice snow sports in a Mediterranean climate.
Did you know that Catalonia is one of the few destinations where you can slide over high mountain slopes while enjoying a Mediterranean climate? With the Mediterranean Sea on the east and the Pyrenees on the north, plus sixteen different ski/mountain resorts available, Catalonia can be an ideal destination to practice snow tourism while appreciating winter mild temperatures, the sun and exceptional light.
On the 27th of November 2021, the different Catalan ski resorts of the Pyrenees opened officially their ski season 2021-2022. In total, Catalonia is glad to have sixteen ski resorts (10 Alpine and 6 Nordic) that work from the months of December till March. They are scattered in different valleys of the Pyrenees that present distinct traits and experiences for all types of travellers. Furthermore, their offer on snow sports such as ski, snowboarding or snowshoeing, can be complemented with the existing cultural, gastronomic, and nature tourism offer available all year round. From visiting the UNESCO World Heritage site of the Romanesque Churches in the Vall de Boí valley to exploring the gastronomy and culture of the Val d’Aran or experiencing wellness tourism in La Cerdanya, there are experiences for everyone. Some of the main alpine ski resorts are:
- Baqueira Beret (Val d’Aran) – baqueira.es
- Boí-Taüll Resort (Pyrenees) – boitaull.cat/en
- Espot Esquí (Pyrenees) – espotesqui.cat/en
- La Molina (Pyrenees) – lamolina.cat/en
- Masella (Pyrenees) – masella.com/en
- Port Ainé (Pyrenees) – portaine.cat/en
- Vall de Núria (Pyrenees) – valldenuria.cat/en
- Vallter 200 (Pyrenees) – vallter2000.cat/en
Out of the sixteen resorts, six of them are owned and operated by the Catalan public railway’s company Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya (FGC). The company makes sure that the different mountain resorts are active all year-round by providing travellers with interesting accommodation and experiences throughout the four seasons. Furthermore, during the months of winter, all of them become good snow resorts for families as they arrange special activities and courses for children of all ages, as well as nursery services. For more information, you can check their official website: www.turismefgc.cat/en
Lastly, all the resorts have easy and comfortable transport connections, either by rail or road, with important towns and cities of Catalonia such as Barcelona and Girona. Thus, a snow adventure in the Catalan Pyrenees can be easily combined with other kinds of trips like city breaks in Barcelona or cycling tours in Girona-Costa Brava.
Would you like to get more information? Do not hesitate to get in contact with us, and please visit: