The St Ermin’s Hotel in London’s St James’ Park will play host to a series of interactive beekeeping workshops this Spring / Summer, with the opportunity to get up close and personal with the Hotel’s own 350,000 Buckfast Bees – hosted by ‘Queen Bee’ Esther Coles.
Participants can choose from a number of masterclasses, ranging from a ‘Meet the Bees‘ encounter out on the third-floor bee terrace, to a kid’s ‘Let’s Waggle‘ workshop and bee hotel making; ‘Products of the Hive‘ class with candle and cocktail making and even a ‘Bee Friendly Planting‘ session to coincide with the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
Workshops will be led by the outgoing, larger than life Esther Coles who has kept bees in her North London allotment for over 12 years. As well as being a passionate beekeeper, Esther is a brilliant actress and co-hosts the hugely popular ‘Queen Bees’ podcast alongside her dear celebrity friend Jane Horrocks (best known for her role as Bubbles in AbFab).
Sure to be filled with as many laughs as important beekeeping insights, the masterclasses will range in topic and have a selection of food and drink options to be taken on the hotel’s beautiful, al fresco gin terrace. Participants can enhance their fab-bee-lous experience with elegant cocktails – featuring the St. Ermin’s own gin and honey; drinks and canapes or a delightful afternoon tea with Pommery Champagne. Details of all the events can be found here:
St. Ermin’s Beekeeping Workshops:
- 13th May, 2-4pm: Meet and Drink with Our Bees, includes: an introduction to beekeeping with Esther (including interactive / up close encounter with the bees on our terrace) followed by a honey cocktail making demonstration (and tasting!) – £70pp
- 20th May, 1-4pm: Meet Our Bees and Pommery Champagne Afternoon Tea, includes: an introduction to beekeeping with Esther (including interactive / up close encounter with the bees on our terrace) followed by a champagne afternoon tea in the Tea Lounge – £90
- 27th May (Chelsea Flower Show), 10th June, 17th June, 1-4pm: Bee Friendly Planting and Champagne Afternoon Tea, includes: lessons on bee friendly planting and introduction to beekeeping with Esther (including interactive / up close encounter with the bees on our terrace) followed by a champagne afternoon tea in the Tea Lounge – £90
- 3rd June, 2-4pm: Products of the Hive and Cocktail Making, includes: products from the hive masterclass followed by a honey candle making session and cocktails on the terrace featuring St Ermin’s own Gin – £70
- 24th June, 3-5pm: Cocktails, Canapes and Chat with the Queen Bee, includes: a session about the bees and why they are important with cocktails and honey themed canapes served on the terrace throughout – £80
- 1st July & 26th August, 2-4pm: Let’s Waggle (Family Workshop), includes: a lesson on what bees do, why we need them, pollination and how we can save the bees whilst looking at them through the third-floor window. Kids can then make their very own bee hotels, followed by afternoon tea in the Tea Lounge – £48 adult £30 child (£85 total)